Monday, February 04, 2008

the illustrious guest speaker

Como prometido, aqui fica o testemunho de um verdadeiro fã dos Giants ... the field is yours, Bobby Kim!

Thank you for giving me this unique opportunity to share my thoughts about the Super Bowl with the Portuguese people.
As Sinapse explained, the Super Bowl is the championship game of the U.S. football league. Beyond the actual match, however, the Super Bowl is significant because it embodies what it truly means to be American:
1. We are big and strong - that's why we love our version of football. We like to see 300 lb. men running headfirst into each other. The nickname of the NY team is the "Giants".
2. We are rich - tickets to the game were $6,000 apiece and a 30-second TV commercial cost $2.7 million.
3. We are arrogant - the winner of the Super Bowl is called the "world champion", even though no other nation participates in the competition (... granted we're the only country playing the sport, except for Canada).
4. We are gluttonous - it is customary to invite friends to one's home to eat greasy food and drink beer. Gambling is also highly encouraged.
This year's match had special meaning for me because I've been a lifelong NY Giants fan. In that regard, I couldn't enjoy myself as much as usual because I was worrying about the outcome of the match. American men (myself included) are quite superstitious when it comes to sporting events, so in addition to watching the game, I also had the duty of yelling at my friends to remain in "lucky" seating positions, as well as arranging the placement of a certain moose doll in the room.
I noticed that shortly after the departure of a certain Portuguese woman from my home, the Giants took control of the game and eventually won. In any case, I went to bed very happy....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sinapse said...

I loved it, Bobby! This post and also your e-mail sharing your thoughts on Tom Brady! ;))

11 February, 2008 20:58  
Blogger Nwanda said...

I only just found this post...
Almost 1 year late...
As one of the few portuguese Football lovers let me tell you that was one of the most amazing games i've ever seen, i also went to bed very happy, not because i was about to get laid but because my Giants bet paid off some nice 150 euros.
I like Eli and Plaxico, as the Giants are my 2nd favorite team...but still a Chargers fan, LT is 'da bomb!' hehehe

Abraços

04 November, 2008 01:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older